5 JACKET STYLES TO TRY IF YOU'RE PETITE & PEAR SHAPED
Finding jackets that fit me tends to be a complicate process for two reasons (1) I’m petite and (2) have a short torso. To get a better sense of how short my torso is, the measurement from the high point of my shoulder to my natural waist is 15.5’’. As a result, I don’t own that many jackets because I find them so challenging to shop for. In this post, I’m sharing my tried and true staple styles that I’ve acquired over the last few years.
1. The Cropped Bomber Jacket - The reason I love bomber jackets so much is because you can easily throw them on over a t-shirt and jeans - and you have an outfit! Generally I opt for bomber jackets that are cropped length or end at my wearing waist (aka the top of my pants wist). I find that shorter jackets don’t overwhelm my frame and stature. When I’ve tried wearing oversized bomber styles in the past, they’ve just made my hips look wider. In this picture, I’m wearing a bomber jacket I bought from the Topshop petite section nearly 4 years ago.
Photo by: Brittany Plummer
2. The Fitted Denim Jacket - When it comes to denim jackets, I usually go for more fitted styles rather than oversized ones. As a petite pear, I’ve found it difficult to find an oversized style that works for my body type. The “trucker” style jean jackets are too boxy for me since my waist is the narrowest part of my body and I have a short torso. I cannot tell you how excited I was when I found this more fitted Levi’s jean jacket. Even though this jacket is not a petite size, the length worked well for my short torso.
Photo by: Kate Szmurlo
3. The Sleeveless Blazer - When it comes to buying jackets I usually try to buy a petite size because they generally fit better from a length perspective. Since this jacket is on the longer side, I’m glad that it was available in petites otherwise it would have overwhelmed my frame. Another thing I love about this Topshop blazer is the generous cut because it accommodates my curvy hips.
Photo by: Griffin Ungar
4. The Structured Jacket - A structured jacket is a great way to show off your pear-shaped figure. It helps highlight the smallness of upper body relative to your curvy hips. You can further draw attention to your torso and shoulders by wearing monochrome colors with jacket like I am in this picture :)
Photo by: Kristin Ulmer
5. The Peplum Jacket - Not only am I a huge fan of peplum tops, but also peplum jackets. This silhouette truly celebrates my body type because it emphasizes the narrowness of my waist and curviness of my hips. What I love about this particular jacket is the knit fabric because it’s super comfortable. However, it also looks super polished and sophisticated at the same time.
Photo by: Kristin Ulmer
Hope that my suggestions were helpful for all your petite pears out there! Are there any other silhouettes that you absolutely love that I missed? Feel free to comment below!