THE PETITE PEAR'S GUIDE TO SWIMWEAR
Swimwear is definitely one of my least favorite categories to shop because it can be tricky to find styles that fit me well. I know that I'm not the only one who feels this way, which is why I decided to create a trend guide devoted to swimwear. It's often hard to know where to start since there are so many options! A few of the trends I’m sharing in this guide are silhouettes I already know work for my body type from a clothing perspective so I found the swimwear equivalent of them. While this swim guide may not give you the tan lines you want (spoiler alert: high-waisted bottoms), it will make you feel comfortable on the beach! I’ll admit some of these trends have taken me some time to warm up to myself, but they are a fun way to mix up your typical swim look.
1. The Sporty One Piece - You’ve probably already seen variations of this style everywhere already this summer! Before you write it off as too much of a throw back to your swim team days in middle school when you had to wear a Speedo, hear me out! As much as I disliked this style back in the day, I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for them now. It’s a classic style that suits many different body types. This silhouette works well for pear shapes because it defines the waist well and shows off the shoulders. Also there are so many cute options now for this silhouette from sassy slogans to floral prints so you won't look dorky.
2. The High Waisted Bottom - When I first saw this trend a few years ago, I did not understand the appeal at all. Why on earth would I want to cover up so much and sacrifice a good tan? Well I have changed my mind since actually trying them on. High-waisted bottoms are great for pear-shaped women because they emphasize the narrowness of the waist relative to the hips. They really play up your curves. Plus, the ultimate bonus is that they are soooo incredibly comfortable. It’s a nice change to wear bottoms that you’re not constantly worried about riding down. As someone with a fuller bum, I appreciate being able to wear a pair of bikini bottoms that doesn’t feel like my cheeks are hanging out.
3. The High Neckline Top - You’ve seen me write a lot about this neckline on the blog before for dresses and tops so it’s no surprise I like it in swimwear too. For pear-shaped ladies, this neckline shows off the shoulders and upper body well. Overall, it’s a very flattering neckline. Depending on your personal style, you can really go whatever route you want aesthetically - from sporty to girly. High neckline tops pair back nicely to high-waisted or low-rise bottoms so you can make the look your own.
4. The Tie-Front One Piece - I found the cutest version of this trend on Urban Outfitters, but sadly it was on backorder and I needed a bathing suit sooner! I love the placement of the cut-out because it creates the illusion of defining the waist. It’s a nice alternative to strappy cut-outs as well.
5. The Deep V-Neck One Piece - This is a tried and true silhouette for me! I love a plunging v-neckline because it instantly adds drama. As a pear-shaped lady I have a smaller bust, wearing a deep v-neck is easy since it accentuates what I do have. This summer I’ve been seeing styles with more draping around the v-neck, which can make the look glamorous.
6. The Demi Underwire Top - Stay tuned later this week because I'll be sharing a look on the blog that showcases this style. It’s a more retro style bikini top, but I’m a fan because its more secure than wearing a string or halter bikini top. Also since I have a smaller bust I find that these tops provide definition while being comfortable at the same time.
Hope these trend ideas make your swimwear shopping process a little bit easier! Would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!